Your smile is one of the first things that people notice about you—so knowing that it looks its absolute best will ensure that every first impression you make is a positive one! That said, if you have a big event coming up in the near future, you’re probably thinking of ways you can enhance your pearly whites in preparation. Have you considered teeth whitening? Here’s more about the process, including some ways to safely whiten your teeth, when you should whiten prior to an event, and some tips for retaining your smile’s new glow.
How Can I Safely Whiten My Teeth?
When it comes to whitening your teeth, there are a couple of different approaches you can take:
- In-office whitening – This is arguably the best way to have your smile whitened. Your dentist has access to special tools and professional-grade whitening agents that are certain to get the job done. The process is quick and usually takes a single appointment, with the results fully manifesting within a week or two. But with proper care, your smile’s new shine can last up to 2 or 3 years.
- At-home whitening kits – Your dentist can also send you home with a whitening kit that contains everything you’ll need to brighten your smile on your own schedule. That said, you don’t sacrifice any of the quality when opting for this method; though it will take longer than in-office whitening, it’s more convenient and still just as effective.
It’s also worth mentioning that there are many widely available store-bought whitening products. These products are often cheap and convenient, with diluted whitening agents and flimsy one-size-fits-all trays. This means that results are varying and usually fleeting; save the whitening for your dentist!
How Far in Advance of an Event Should I Whiten My Teeth?
Most whitening treatments have timelines varying from a few days to a couple of weeks. This means that planning is key! While in-office whitening usually takes one brief appointment to complete, the results can sometimes take up to two weeks to fully manifest. With take-home kits, you have a little more flexibility since you’re working on your own schedule; but you can still expect to need a week or two. In any case, you should aim to whiten your teeth a few weeks prior to your event to ensure that your results are visible and impressive.
Tips for Keeping Your Smile White & Bright
Of course, once you’ve had your teeth whitened, you should take measures to preserve their new luster. Consider the following:
- Avoid foods and drinks that are notorious for causing stained teeth such as coffee, red sauces and wines, berries, and more.
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco products.
- Brush and floss your teeth every single day.
- Visit your dentist for regular checkups and cleanings.
If you’re interested in obtaining a whiter smile in time for your next big event, don’t hesitate to contact your dentist about their teeth whitening options. Not only is the process quick—it delivers spectacular results that you and those around you will admire!
About the Author
Dr. Carin J. Solomon received her dental doctorate from the University of Michigan and has proudly served patients and families in The Woodlands, TX for several years. She is a member of several professional organizations including the Texas Dental Association and the prestigious Academy of General Dentistry. Her practice is pleased to offer many available services including cosmetic options like teeth whitening. If you’d like to schedule an appointment, feel free to contact Dr. Solomon through her practice’s website or over the phone: (281) 367-4007.